Saturday, July 19, 2008

flickr in an art room

I found flickr to be easy to use and plan to use it more in the future.

Imagining one another
http://www.fwmoa.org/education/selection_9.htm
A few years ago I worked with the Fort Wayne Museum of Art on a digital photography project that kids and parents loved. There was only had enough money to do this for a few years and limited schools to a one time thing. With flickr I think it would be possible to do this in school without quite the expense.

I have three digital cameras at school and would bet a lot of my students would have one they could use at home. I could let the students take cameras home over a weekend and create a photo essay. The more students have their own phone the faster it could be completed, but it could be something we worked on for a longer period of time while working on other things in art class. We could put the photos on flickr, they could choose one to be printed and could share their photos with family and friends they choose.

Of course not all my students have internet access, the digital divide is not as evident in elementary school but certainly can cause issues. I could let students access their photos at school for those without a way to do it at home.

1 comment:

Worth Weller said...

glad you see the possibilities of Flickr - makes for great class projects. And Carols had a good idea - can use it to create a slide show for presenting instructions on how to do something - in your case, mix paints, sketch a face, etc.